This training programme has been designed to provide essential knowledge and understanding of health and safety for employees working in any sector of business, whether manufacturing, commerce, public sector or for the service industries. Good health and safety standards rely on employers and employees working together to reduce risks and prevent accidents and ill health arising from work activities.
Employers have a responsibility to provide safe and healthy workplace conditions as well as safe systems and methods for workplace activities. An essential element of any safe system is the knowledge and attitude of employees, and this demands proper training in the basics of health and safety, as well as specific training for individual tasks.
The Basic Health and Safety Certificate represents a foundation of knowledge required by everyone. A series of further modules are available for those students who have successfully completed the Basic Certificate.
Basic Health and Safety aims to provide employees with health and safety understanding which will enable them to contribute to any health and safety management system. In particular the programme will enable them to:
- Work in a safe and healthy manner and contribute to improving health and safety within an organisation\u2019s policy.
- Identify key hazards in their own workplace.
- Understand the importance of health and safety rules and working procedures. \uF0B7
- Report potential health and safety problems.
- Be responsible for their own actions.
The syllabus is generic in nature \u2013 it sets out the principles of health and safety:
- Accidents, ill health and First Aid at Work
- Risk Assessment
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Workplace Health, Safety and Welfare
- Work equipment
- Occupational Health
- Hazardous Substances
- Ergonomics and workstation design
- Fire prevention
- Manual Handling